Assistant Professor and Chemist
Ph.D., Food Science, University of Piemonte Orientale A. Avogadro, Italy
M.S., Chemistry & Pharmaceutical Technology, University of Piemonte Orientale A. Avogadro, Italy
Dr. Barile’s research program focuses on milk functional glycomics. Her particular research interests are in combining an understanding of the chemical and biological properties of food components with analytics and engineering to characterize, bioseparate and biointegrate bioactive compounds in foods. In connection with this aim, her research spans three distinct but intersecting topics: i) analytical discovery of complex carbohydrates and peptides by advanced Mass Spectrometry, ii) development of efficient separation systems to isolate the identified carbohydrates in foods and food by-products, and iii) elucidation of the specific interaction of the carbohydrates with the human body and demonstrate the health benefits. In addition to analytical platform at her lab, Barile has also access to the food-grade pilot-scale filtration equipment in the Milk Process Research Lab (MPRL) to generate new bioactive fractions for functional studies to support the translation of these molecules as selective prebiotics. Research in the laboratory also embraces the characterization of glycosylated bioactive components in industrial by-products to enhance commodity agriculture, food processing and develop unique functional ingredients.
- Le Parc A., Lee H., Chen K. and Barile D. (2013). Rapid quantification of functional carbohydrates in food products. In press at Food and Nutrition Sciences, doi:10.4236/fns 2013 December 8.
- Dallas, D., Guerrero D., Parker E., Garay L., Bhandari A., Lebrilla C.B., Barile D., German, J.B. (2013). Peptidomic profile of milk of Holstein cows at peak lactation. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, in press
- Montella R., Coïsson J.D., Travaglia F., Locatelli M., Bordiga M., Meyrand M., Lebrilla C.B., Barile D., Arlorio M. (2013). Identification and Characterization of Water and Alkali Soluble Oligosaccharides from Hazelnut Skin (Corylus avellana L.). Food Chemistry. 140 (4), 717–725.
- Aldredge D.L., Geronimo M.R, Hua S.S., Nwosu C.C., Lebrilla C.B. & Barile D. (2013). Annotation and structural elucidation of bovine milk oligosaccharides and determination of novel fucosylated structures. Glycobiology 23(6):664-76.
- Dallas, D.; Guerrero, A.; Khaldi, N.; Castillo, P.; Martin, W.; Smilowitz, J.; Bevins, C.; Barile, D.; German, J.B; Lebrilla, C. (2013). Extensive in vivo human milk peptidomics reveals specific proteolysis yielding protective antimicrobial peptides. Journal of Proteome Research, 12 (5), 2295–2304.
- Meyrand M., Dallas D. C., Caillat H., Bouvier F., Martin P., & Barile D. (2013). Comparison of milk oligosaccharides between goats with and without the genetic ability to synthesize αs1-casein. Small Ruminant Research, 113(1-2): 411-420. doi10.1016/j.smallrumres.2013.03.014
- Dallas D.C.; Lee H.; Le Parc A.; de Moura J.M.L.N.; Barile D. (2013). Coupling mass spectrometry-based “omic” sciences with bioguided processing to unravel milk’s hidden bioactivities. Advances in Dairy Science, in press.
- Barile D., Rastall R. (2013). Human milk and related oligosaccharides as prebiotics. Current Opinion in Biotechnology 24:214-219.
- Smilowitz J., O’Sullivan A., Barile D., German J.B., Lönnerdal B., Slupsky C.M. (2013). The Human Milk Metabolome Reveals Diverse Oligosaccharide Profiles. In press at The Journal of Nutrition 143(11):1709-18
- Dallas D.C., Meyrand M., Barile D. (2013). Production and bioactivity of bovine (and related species) milk oligosaccharides. In press at: Food Oligosaccharides' edited by F.J. Moreno & M.L. Sanz - Wiley-Blackwell Oxford ISBN: 978-1-118-42649-4 (expected publication: May 2014).
- Lee H.; German J.B.; Kjelden R.; Lebrilla C.B.; Barile D. (2013). Quantitative Analysis of Bovine Milk Gangliosides by Ultra-high Performance Liquid Chromatography-Tandem Mass Spectrometry. In press at J. Agr. Food Chem. 61(40):9689-96.
- Underwood MA, Kalanetra KM, Bokulich NA, Mirmiran M, Barile D, Tancredi DJ, German JB, Lebrilla CB, Mills DA. (2013). Prebiotic Oligosaccharides In Premature Infants. Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition 2013 Oct 16.
- >Bordiga M., Travaglia F., Meyrand M German J.B., Lebrilla C.B.,Coïsson J.D.,Arlorio M., & Barile D. (2012). Identification and Characterization of Complex Bioactive Oligosaccharides in White and Red Wine by a Combination of Mass Spectrometry and Gas Chromatography. Corresponding author. J. Agric Food Chem 60: 3700-3707.
- Strum J.S., Aldredge D., Barile D., and Lebrilla C.B. (2012).
Coupling Flash LC with MS for enrichment and isolation of milk oligosaccharides for functional studies. Analytical Biochemistry 424:87-96.
- Garrido D., Barile D., Mills D.A. (2012). A molecular basis for bifidobacterial enrichment in the infant gastrointestinal tract.
Advances in Nutrition; vol. 3: 415S-421S
- Sundekilde U., Barile D., Meyrand M., Poulsen N., Larsen L., Lebrilla C.B., German J.B, Hanne B. (2012). Natural variability in bovine milk oligosaccharides from Danish Jersey and Holstein-Friesian breeds. Corresponding author. In press at Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry
- Nijman R.M., Meyrand M. & Barile D. (2012). Human milk oligosaccharides and their health effects. In: Lactation: Natural Processes, Physiological Responses and Role in Maternity. Nova Science Publishers Inc, NY. Corresponding author.
- Zivkovic, A. & Barile, D. (2011). Bovine Milk as a Source of Functional Oligosaccharides for Improving Human Health. Advances in Nutrition 2: 284–289. Corresponding author.
- BarileD., Meyrand M., Guinard J.., GermanJ.B. (2011). Examining bioactive components of milk: complex oligosaccharides (Part 1). AgroFood European Journal of Nutraceuticals & Functional Foods Vol. 22 (4): 10-12. Corresponding author.
- BarileD., Meyrand M., Lebrilla C.B., GermanJ.B. (2011). Examining bioactive components of milk: sources of complex oligosaccharides (Part 2). AgroFood European Journal of Nutraceuticals & Functional Foods Vol. 22 (4): 14-16. Corresponding author.
- Barile, D., German, J.B., Lebrilla, C.B., Lee, M.L., & Rechtman, D.J. (2011). Mass spectrometric identification of oligosaccharides in human milk fractions obtained by membrane filtration. In final revision at the British Journal of Nutrition. Corresponding author.
- >Barile, D., Marotta, M., Chu, C., Mehra, R., Grimm, R., Lebrilla, C.B., & German, J.B. (2010). Neutral and acidic oligosaccharides in Holstein-Friesian colostrum during the first 3 days of lactation measured by high performance liquid chromatography on a microfluidic chip and time-of-flight mass spectrometry. Journal of Dairy Science, 93(9), 3940-3949. Corresponding author.
- Barile, D., Tao, N., Lebrilla, C.B., Coisson, J.D., Arlorio, M., & German, J.B. (2009). Permeate from cheese whey ultrafiltration is a source of milk oligosaccharides. International Dairy Journal, 19(9), 524-530. Corresponding author.
- Barile, D., Malfa, P., Coisson, J.D., Travaglia, F., & Arlorio, M. (2007). Growth of Lactobacillus plantarum P17630 on whey based media. Cibus, 3(2), 67.
- Barile, D. (2006). Identification of production area of Ossolano Italian cheese with chemometric complex approach. Food Control, 17(3), 197-206.